Easter Pet Poisons: Grass & Chocolate

The second major toxic threat that poses harm to your pets around Easter, is Easter grass. This is a fake grass that comes in many, if not most, Easter baskets. When your furry family member ingests something ‘stringy’ like Easter grass, it can become stuck around the base of the tongue or stomach, not allowing it to pass through the intestines, resulting in a foreign body causing severe damage to the intestinal tract.

As the third most concerning toxin related to Easter, chocolate poisoning has increased by nearly 200 percent according to many studies! Some may believe that the occasional chocolate chip may not cause upset with their furry family member, but certain types of chocolate are very toxic to dogs. A good rule of thumb is, the darker and more bitter the chocolate, the greater the risk of toxicity. The chemical toxicity is from a relative of caffeine, called methylxanthines, resulting in vomiting, diarrhea, hyperactivity, abnormal heart rhythm, seizures, and possibly death. If you suspect that your dog ate chocolate, call your veterinarian or Pet Poison Helpline immediately.

With spring in the air and Easter approaching, remember that your pets will be curious with all of the new goodies around your house. Make sure that you keep any lilies, Easter grass, and chocolate out of reach! Don’t forget to enjoy the holiday and the season!

Written by Briarwood Animal Hospital