The snow is starting to fall, the home is starting to look festive and the holiday baking is in full swing. With all the joys of the holiday season come some potential health hazards for your pets.
Chocolate – Chocolate is the most commonly known toxin to pets. It contains theobromine which is highly toxic to both dogs and cats. It can cause mild effect from vomiting and diarrhea to more severe effects like seizures and even death if not treated promptly.
Baked Good – Baked goods that contain raisins and/or nuts can cause kidney issues and neurological issues.
Candy – Candy that is sweetened with Xylitol can cause liver issues in dogs.
Mistletoe, holly and poinsettias are all toxic to pets. Both dogs and cats can get curious and ingest the plants. Ingestion can cause gastrointestinal upset and sometimes unusual behaviour.
Decorations, especially tinsel and ribbon, can pose a risk to your cat. Tinsel and ribbon can be quite intriguing to play with for a active cat. While fun to play with, if ingested it can get stuck in the intestine causing an obstruction which is an emergency.
Antifreeze has a sweet taste to it which makes it appealing to animals. If consumed, even in small amounts, it can have fatal effects on your pet.
Though the salt makes it safer for humans and dogs alike when walking in the winter time, it can irritate their pads. Make sure to wipe your dog’s feet after coming into contact with the salt. Many retailers carry pet friendly ice melt salt to use during the winter months.
Outdoor cats in the winter time will search for any warm spots available. Warm car engines and wheel wells make great spots for cats to hide. Check your tires and bang on the hood of your car before heading on the road.
If you have any questions about your pet’s safety during the holidays or you think you pet may have gotten into something hazardous, please contact your veterinarian. We hope you are your pets have a happy, healthy and safe holiday.